Call Us Today
No matter what the case is, it may have been a while since you’ve been in for a teeth cleaning and oral checkup. Most dental patients find themselves reluctant to make the initial appointment because so much time has passed since their last exam, leaving them feeling a little embarrassed.
If you haven’t been to the dentist in a while, first of all, do not be ashamed. As dentists at Boundary Park in Surrey, BC we see teeth of all shapes and sizes, some very healthy and others in need of some TLC. No matter how long it’s been, it’s never, ever too late.
Your first visit and what to expect?
When scheduling your initial dental appointment, be honest when reporting your last dental visit, as it will give our dentists an idea of what to expect, what tools are needed, and how long the appointment could be. Being honest will allow our dentists to give you the right recommendations, information, etc.
1. Bleeding gums. When your dental assistant flosses your teeth, you will likely experience some discomfort and bleeding. Don’t worry, this is normal because your gums are not used to the added pressure of the floss excavating between your teeth and gums.
You can prevent some of this bleeding by flossing thoroughly, every day prior to your appointment.
2. Since you have not had your teeth professionally cleaned in some time, you can expect a significant amount of plaque build up on the surface of your teeth. This isn’t a problem, but it is for this reason that your cleaning may take longer than usual.
3. X-rays. Our dentist will want to take X-rays of your teeth and mouth to make sure that no hidden problems that have developed in the time since your last visit. Through the X-rays, our dentist will be able to assess your teeth in its entirety and then provide you with any necessary treatment recommendations from there.
Remember, these are only recommendations. We will never pressure you to do something you don’t want. But we will inform you of the pros and cons of each recommendation.
4. Comprehensive mouth-check. After your teeth have been polished and cleaned, our Surrey Dentist will meticulously check your mouth for cavities, signs of gum disease, and possible problems that have potentially occurred.
Let’s say you haven’t been to the dentist in over 10 years, it is very likely that you will need to fill a cavity.
5. One-on-one conversation. After your examination, our dentist will have a chat with you about your oral goals. You may have to make a follow-up appointment for a cavity filling, or perhaps you will be referred out to a specialist. Whatever you decide, make sure you schedule a follow-up cleaning within 4-6 months before leaving our office.
If you have further questions that we didn’t address in this article, please call My Dentist @ Boundary Park in Surrey and we’ll be happy to address your question.